Reem Acra has made a legacy for herself through designing glamorous red carpet looks for some of the biggest names in Hollywood including Halle Berry, Beyonce and Angelina Jolie. Her bridal collections incorporate these sexy starlet looks with a soft, feminine touch. She has become known for her intricate embroidery, beading, and construction which translate perfectly from red carpet to aisle style.
1. You have dressed many celebrities for the red carpet including, most recently, Bette Midler at this year’s Oscars…How can a bride achieve that glamorous red carpet look for her big day?
A Reem Acra dress is designed to give a bride a glamorous red carpet look, she doesn't need to do anything else than wear the dress that we have designed for her special day
2. What type of bride inspires your designs?
I am inspired by all brides, particularly I love brides who understand fashion and luxury.
3. You were first discovered as a designer by wearing a dress you made from your mother’s dining room tablecloth…What inspired you to create a dress from that unconventional material?
I look at things with a differently than others do. What inspired me to create the dress out of the tablecloth was the fabric looked like it could be a dress… and I knew my mother would rather see it on me than on the table.
4. Do you do any custom designs for your brides? If so, what is your method of coming up with the design for their dress?
I am well known for my custom couture wedding dresses. I love the challenge that comes with designing a wedding dress because you are portraying the personality of a bride. Within 5 minutes of meeting the bride, I can come up with my design – it is my forte.
5. How do you best accessorize one of your gowns?
I love to create new accessories. As a designer I am always creating new ideas as this is what my brand is all about.
6. Tell us something about yourself that your brides would never know.
I love to ballroom dance.
View the newest Reem Acra collection at her trunk show March 21-23 at Kleinfeld!